Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Beauty treatment



You may recall that I was adopted from the Northwest Arkansas Pug Shelter. I stayed with those nice people for over a year because everyone was too scared to adopt me. I am a special needs pug: I am partially blind and I have epilepsy. And when I was at the shelter I also smelled bad because I had constant ear infections and some skin issues. Well, no more!

The last time I went to the vet, my mom mentioned my skin problems. Basically, I had all these scales coming out of my legs. Then the vet, who knew that I am 7 years old, decided to run some tests. He tested me for demodectic mange, which is a condition that is common in pugs and, in fact, my little brother Alfred had to be treated for it. Fortunately, I tested negative. Then he tested my thyroid and bingo! there was indeed a problem because my test value came out too low. My doctor then prescribed some shampoo (Keratolux) and a spray (GentaSpray) and he also gave me some other pills that I have to take for the rest of my life.

So, now I take the following medication twice a day (note that I weigh 13 lbs):

  • 8.1 mg phenobarbital for my epilepsy
  • 1 ml potassium bromide for my epilepsy
  • 0.15 mg soroxine for my thyroid


Additionally, I also take a daily vitamin supplement (Vetri-Liver Support) to help my liver because phenobarbital can cause liver problems. And, besides buying me Science Diet food, my mom also provides me and my brothers with plenty of fruit (tomato, apple, pear, mango, and peach). But note that we never eat grapes because grapes are poisonous for us as are chocolate and onions.

Finally, I feel good: I play with and chase my brothers around, my coat is super-glossy and I don't stink any more!

P.S. In the picture above, I am in the bathtub waiting for the shampoo to work. It has to stay on me for 5 minutes before we can rinse it off. Then mom wraps me in towels that she pre-heated in the dryer. And how does your mom dry you up?

No comments: